EXTRA™ wound dressing is composed of two layers of Hydrofiber®
Technology stitched together. It is nine times stronger and has 39% greater absorbency as compared to the original AQUACEL®
dressing is specifically suited to help manage moderate to highly exuding wounds and is cleared for the same indications as the original AQUACEL®
EXTRA™ wound dressing is constructed with two-dimensional strengthening fibers that are stitched into the dressing. While made from the same base material that is used to manufacture Hydrofiber®
Technology, the fibers do not gel on contact with fluid so that they maintain their integrity and become encompassed by the gel, providing additional strength and aiding the easy removal.
Advanced Wound Dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology from ConvaTec
ConvaTec dressings with Hydrofiber® Technology gel on contact with fluid, providing clinicians and patients with substantial wound care benefits. This unique gelling action enables the dressings to lock in exudate and its harmful components 2, 3, 4, a and contour closely to the wound bed, 5,b in response to changing wound conditions. AQUACEL® dressings are soft, absorbent non-woven wound dressings based on Hydrofiber® Technology.
- Applies to AQUACEL® and AQUACEL®
- Ag dressingsAs demonstrated in vitro
- Assessment of the Physical Properties of AQUACEL® EXTRA & AQUACEL® Dressings. Scientific Background Report. WHRI3461 TA214. 2011 Data on File, ConvaTec.
- Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilization in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings. Biomaterials. 2003; 24:883-890.
- Waring MJ, Parsons D. Physico-chemical characterization of carboxymethylated spun cellulose fibres. Biomaterials. 2001; 22:903-912.
- Walker M, Bowler PG, Cochrane CA. In vitro studies to show sequestration of matrix metalloproteinases by silver-containing wound care products. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2007; 53(9):18-25.
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface. Wounds. 2005; 17(9):263-270.
Learn more about Hydrofiber® Technology
Please note: This product does not contain latex.
Please see package insert for complete instructions for use.