A urostomy is a type of surgery which enables urine to exit the body through a stoma after removal of a diseased or damaged portion of your urinary tract.1
Learn more about the different urostomy types here.
With a urostomy, urine flows through your stoma as it is produced, so a pouching system is necessary. A urostomy is freely refluxing, meaning the urine can travel in either direction. All urostomy pouches have a drainage tap on the bottom, allowing you to empty the contents of the pouch repeatedly throughout the day.
Helpful Tips and Insights
- Although you have a urostomy, the stoma is bowel tissue which creates mucus. Mucus is commonly seen coming from the stoma.
- You may want to try an extended wear barrier, designed to remain intact with urine exposure and protect the skin from prolonged exposure to excessive moisture. You may notice that your wafer is swollen around the stoma opening where the wafer has absorbed excess fluid, this is called turtlenecking. Turtlenecking is an expected outcome of extended wear barriers.
- Use pouches designed for people living with an urostomy. Urostomy - versus colostomy or ileostomy - pouches are designed to keep urine away from the stoma.
- You may notice a sandpaper-like crust that may form on the inside of the pouch or the skin around the stoma. These are crystals, which occur when the urine is very alkaline or with a poorly fitted barrier. Make sure the barrier fits properly or try a moldable skin barrier, which will provide a more customized fit.
- Follow a basic peristomal skin care routine. Bathe or shower as normal, with or without the pouch on, using a residue free soap. Examine your peristomal skin with each pouch change for unusual coloring or skin irritations like rashes or breakdown.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Fluids will help keep the urine more acidic. Learn more about nutritional advice if you are living with an urostomy.
- There is no need to purchase a new wardrobe. Urostomy pouches are not seen under most clothing. You may feel more confident using special ostomy undergarments and apparel from Ostomysecrets®.