In the coming weeks or months, you may be affected by winter weather. If you are living with an ostomy, these tips may help you feel more confident and prepared in the event a little snow or ice disrupts your regular routine.
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) suggests that if you take medicine or use medical supplies on a daily basis, be sure you have what you need on hand to make it on your own for at least 7-10 days.1
- If you don’t already use a moldable skin barrier, consider sampling one now. In the event you do not have access to scissors, moldable skin barriers may be easier to manage if your regular routine is interupted. Check out and sample the Esteem One-Piece Moldable here.
- Keep a copy of your prescriptions, dosage or treatment information, specific order number and name of ostomy products used, healthcare provider contact information and medical insurance information with your emergency supplies.1
- Hydration is important. If you have advance notice of potential snowy weather, make sure you have enough clean drinking water on hand for at least three days. If you do not have advance notice, consider water sanitation devices available from camping or outdoor equipment retailers.
- If possible with your personal dietary needs, find some non-perishable, ostomy-friendly foods to keep with your emergency supplies. For suggestions on what foods may work for you, read our diet information here or consult with your healthcare provider.
- Disposable cleansing wipes may be helpful if your normal pouch change routine is altered due to lack of clean water. Consider keeping Aloe Vesta Bathing Cloths with your emergency supplies.
- Review your emergency preparedness plan with your family and friends. Having a support system in the event of winter weather may increase your confidence in handling various situations.
Have more questions about planning for winter weather? If you have additional ostomy information questions, need support and resources, contact our me+ team at 1-800-422-8811 or by email at email@example.com.