A Guide to Convexity
What is convexity? Why might you consider a convex ostomy product?
Convexity is the outward curving of the wafer or skin barrier.
Convex ostomy wafer or skin barriers are designed to help reduce leakage. If you have been experiencing leakage, if your stoma is flush or retracted or if your abdomen tone has changed you might consider talking to your healthcare provider about convex ostomy products.1
Convexity may help maintain a secure seal between the wafer or skin barrier and the skin.1
Understanding the 5 Characteristics of Convexity2
- The depth of the convex skin barrier Is defined as the measurement from the apex of the dome to the base.
- Compressibility is the capacity of the convex dome to be displaced or flattened.
- Flexibility is how easily the convex skin barrier can bend.
- Tension location is the position in which the convex dome exerts downward and outward forces on the peristomal topography.
- The slope is the angle from the base of the convex skin barrier to the apex of the dome.
Featured Convex Products
Esteem Body™ Soft Convex One-Piece Drainable Pouch - with window
Esteem synergy® Adhesive Coupling Technology™ Convex Moldable Durahesive® Skin Barrier
SUR-FIT Natura® Two-Piece Durahesive® Skin Barrier with CONVEX-IT® Technology
New from Convatec
Learn more about convexity and request product samples today.
1. Colwell J, Stoia Davis J, Emodi K, Fellows J, Mahoney M, McDade B, Porten S, Raskin E, Sims T, Norman H, Kelly M, Gray, M. Use of a Convex Pouching System in the Postoperative Period: A National Consensus. Journal of Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing. 2022;49(3):240-246.
2. McNichol L, Cobb T, Depaifve Y, Quigley M, Smitka K, Gray, M. Characteristics of Convex Skin Barriers and Clinical Application: Results of an International Consensus Panel. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2021;48(6):524-532.