Hydrofiber® Technology is a soft, absorbent material that transforms into a gel on contact with wound fluid.
Our Hydrofiber® Technology Products
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ Hydrofiber® dressing
AQUACEL® EXTRA™ wound dressing is composed of two layers of Hydrofiber® Technology stitched together. It is nine times stronger and has 39% greater absorbency as compared to the original AQUACEL® wound dressing.1 AQUACEL® EXTRA™ Hydrofiber® dressing is specifically suited to help manage moderate to highly exuding wounds and is cleared for the same indications as the original AQUACEL® dressing.Read more
AQUACEL® Ag Foam dressing
The only silver foam dressing that offers the healing benefits of an AQUACEL® Ag interface layer, the comfort of foam and the bacteria-killing power of ionic silver.*1 * As demonstrated in vitroRead more
Avelle™ Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
Introducing the first system to combine negative pressure wound therapy with Hydrofiber Technology. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy delivered in a simple, discrete, canister-less system: • Easy to use• Small and portable• Quiet, no alarm• Disposable pump with 30 day lifetime† Designed for flexibility• Suitable for use within and across different care settings• Separate pump and dressing packs• Supports patients resuming normal lifeRead more
AQUACEL® Ag Advantage Surgical
Combination dressing with a mix of skin-friendly hydrocolloid technology for comfort during body movement, and proprietary Hydrofiber® Technology with ionic silver to help manage serosanguinous fluid. Cover layer of polyurethane film provides a viral, waterproof and bacterial barrier (when intact and with no leakage), for a high-performance dressing. Added ionic silver provides sustained antimicrobial activity for up to fourteen days as demonstrated by in vitro studies.1Read more
AQUACEL® Foam Dressing
AQUACEL® Foam dressing has a soft absorbent Foam pad, an AQUACEL® interface, a gentle silicone adhesive, and a waterproof/bacteria barrier. AQUACEL® Foam dressing is the only Foam that has comfort, simplicity and the healing benefits of an AQUACEL® Interface.Read more
CarboFLEX® Odor Control Dressing
CarboFLEX® dressing is a sterile, non-adhesive dressing indicated for shallow wounds or as a secondary dressing over a wound filler for deeper wounds. It is a five layer dressing specifically designed to address the management problems associated with malodorous wounds.Read more
AQUACEL® Foam Pro
AQUACEL® Foam Pro is the advanced foam dressing from ConvaTec that combines the benefits of silicone foam, with the unrivalled advantage of Hydrofiber® Technology for exudate management - designed to promote wound healing of chronic and acute wounds. AQUACEL® Foam Pro has a protective top layer - smooth, breathable polyurethane film that handles the evaporation (MVTR) of the absorbed wound fluid. It protects the wound from contamination, which reduces the risk of infection. The core of the bandage is a multi-layer foam bandage with Hydrofiber® technology that maintains a good microclimate on the skin. In addition, with vertical absorption, which traps the wound fluid in the bandage, and reduces spread in the side. This helps reduce the risk of leakage and maceration of the surrounding skin, even during compression. AQUACEL® Foam Pro provides efficient fluid management, improved patient comfort and is particularly suitable for patients with fragile and sensitive skin and can be used as a primary foam bandage for: Moderately exuding and bleeding wounds Chronic wounds: leg ulcers, pressure ulcers (categories II-IV), diabetic foot ulcers Acute wounds: such as surgical wounds (postoperative incisions, secondary healing wounds or donor surfaces), partial burns of the skin and skin abrasions and tears. AQUACEL® Foam Pro has a gentle silicone adhesive that ensures a durable and gentle adhesion. The bandage is changed when clinically indicated, or after a maximum of 7 daysRead more
AQUACEL® Ag Burn Hydrofiber® Dressing, Sterile
The AQUACEL® Ag BURN Hydrofiber® Dressing Reinforced with Nylon, silver-impregnated, antimicrobial, absorbent dressing is a soft, sterile, non-woven hydroentangled dressing comprised of Hydrofiber (sodium carboxymethylcellulose) with nylon thread used to stitch bond the product along the length. The dressing contains 1.2% w/w ionic silver. The silver in the dressing kills a broad spectrum of wound bacteria. This dressing absorbs high amounts of wound fluid and bacteria and creates a soft, cohesive gel that intimately conforms to the wound surface, maintains a moist environment and aids in the removal of non-viable tissue from the wound (autolytic debridement).Read more
Locks in Exudate and Traps Bacteria*1-3
Micro-Contours to Wound Bed*8
Hydrofiber® Technology Introduction
Hydrofiber® Technology Construction
Hydrofiber® Technology Production Process
AQUACEL Dressings with Hydrofiber®
You might be interested in...
Advanced Wound Care
Skin and Wound Bed Preparation
2-6% of the world’s population suffers from slow or non-healing wounds.Read more
Advanced Wound Care
We know that, as well as the physical symptoms, pressure injuries can have a psychological, social and financial impact.Read more
Advanced Wound Care
Maintaining an optimal balance of exudate can be challenging, but is a critical part of wound care.Read more
Advanced Wound Care
Infection and Biofilm Management
In the battle against hard-to-heal wounds, there is an invisible enemy, Biofilm. A major barrier to wound healing, it's present in at least 78% of hard-to-heal wounds.*Read more
*As demonstrated in vitro
1. Waring MJ, Parsons D. Physico-chemical characterisation of carboxymethylated spun cellulose fibres. Biomaterials. 2001;22:903-912.
2. Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilisation in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings. Biomaterials. 2003;24(5):883.-890.
3. Newman GR, Walker M, Hobot J, Bowler P. Visualisation of bacterial sequestration and bactericidal activity within hydrating Hydrofiber® wound dressings. Biomaterials. 2006;27:1129-1139.
4. Coutts P, Sibbald RG. The effect of a silvercontaining Hydrofiber dressing on superficial wound bed and bacterial balance of chronic wounds. Int Wound J. 2005;2(4):348-356.
5. Robinson BJ. The use of a hydrofiber dressing in wound management. J Wound Care. 2000;9(1):32-34.
6. Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilisation in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings. Biomaterials. 2003;24(5):883.-890.
7. Bowler PG, Jones SA, Davies BJ, Coyle E. Infection control properties of some wound dressings. J. Wound Care. 1999;8(10):499-502.
8. Jones S, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface. WOUNDS. 2005;17(9):263-270.
9. Bishop SM, Walker M, Rogers AA, Chen WYJ. Moisture balance: optimising the wound-dressing interface. J Wound Care. 2003;12:125-128.
10. Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M, Parsons D. Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing. Wound Rep.Regen. 2004;12: 288-294.
11. Bowler PG, Jones SA, Walker M, Parsons D. Microbicidal properties of a silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing against a variety of burn wound pathogens. J.Burn Care Rehabil. 2004;25: 192-196.
12. Bowler PG. Progression towards healing: wound infection and the role of an advanced silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2003;49:(8) (suppl):S2-S5.
13. Walker M, Bowler PG, Cochrane CA. In vitro studies to show sequestration of matrix metalloproteinases by sliver-containing wound care products. Ostomy Wound Manag. 2007;53(9):18-25.