Different types of wounds need different kinds of treatment
Superabsorber dressings are needed when wound exudate is heavy. For instance as a result of wound infection, which can lead to increased exudate production1.
Images used with the permission of their respective owners
Dressings to suit the patient
Dressing selection should also be individual to the patient. The needs of each patient - along with the unique clinical scenario - will influence the choice of dressing.
Optimal Exudate Management
The benefits of managing exudate are far-reaching1.
- Optimize patient condition and quality of life, manage wound-related symptoms and take patient preferences into account
- Manage the factors contributing to the development or perpetuation of the wound
- Optimize the condition and moisture level of the wound bed and peri-wound skin
- Prevent and treat any other exudate-related problems
What makes an ideal dressing?
- Size and adhesion options
- Ease of application
- Leakage prevention
- High absorption
- Retention of fluids
LEARN MORE ABOUT :
1. World Union of Wound Healing Societies (2019) Consensus Document. Wound exudate: effective assessment and management. Wounds International. Available at: www.woundsinternational.com
2. Cutting KF, White R (2002) Maceration of the skin and wound bed: its nature and causes. J Wound Care 11(7): 275-8