AQUACEL® Ag Dressing
AQUACEL® Ag Dressing does more than just provide antimicrobial activity.
AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver is indicated for moderate to high exuding wounds which are infected or at risk of infection.
Because it is the only antimicrobial dressing that incorporates Hydrofiber® Technology, it:
- Releases ionic silver in a controlleda manner as wound exudate is absorbed into the dressing1,2
- May help protect periwound skin by helping reduce the risk of macerationb,3,4
- Is soft and conformable5
- Supports wound healing by providing a moist wound healing environment6
- AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver provides rapid and sustained antimicrobial activity in vitro1,2,7
- As demonstrated in in vitro testing, AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver provides sustained antimicrobial activity for up to 7 days.2
SCHEMATIC ILLUSTRATION OF SEQUESTRATION OF BACTERIA BY HYDROFIBER® TECHNOLOGY
CLINICAL STUDY RESULTS
Jude, et al. 2007
In a randomised trial of 134 patients, treated with a protocol of care including AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver or calcium alginate dressing for the management of nonischemic diabetic foot ulcers:8
- The decrease in ulcer depth, in the AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver group was twice that of the calcium alginate group (P=0.042)
- The mean time to healing was 53 days for the AQUACEL® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver group and 58 days for the calcium alginate dressing group (P=0.340)
- 87.7% of patients diabetic foot ulcer managed with AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver were healed or improved compared with 70.8% of patients managed with calcium alginate dressings (P=0.058)
- Bowler PG, 2003. Progression towards Healing: wound infection and the role of an advanced silver-containing dressing. Ostomy Wound Management 49: (8) Suppl. 2-5.®Hydrofiber
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M, Parsons D, 2004. Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver- dressing. Wound Rep. Reg.®, containing Hydrofiber 12: 288-294.
- Coutts P, Sibbald RG. The effect of a silver-containing Hydrofiber dressing on superficial wound bed and bacterial balance of chronic wounds. Int Wound J. 2005;2(4):348-356.
- Robinson BJ. The use of a hydrofibre dressing in wound management. J Wound Care. 2000;9(1):32-34.
- Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG, 2003. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial ) and alginate dressing. Biomaterials 24: 883-890
- Jones S, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface. WOUNDS. 2005;17(9):263-270.
- AQUACEL® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing [CE Mark package insert ConvaTec 1137338]. Deeside, UK: ConvaTec Limited 2002
- Jude EB, Apelqvist J, Spraul M, Martini J. Prospective randomised controlled study of Hydrofiber® dressing containing ionic silver or calcium alginate dressings in non-ischaemic diabetic foot ulcers. Diabet Med. 2007;24:280-288.
- The amount of silver released is controlled by the maximum amount of silver that can get into solution.
- In in vitro testing for AQUACEL® dressing, which is of the same construction as AQUACEL® Ag dressing with the exception of the addition of ionic silver.
ConvaTec can provide you with more information about wound & skin products and services.