AQUACEL® Ag Dressing
AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver does more than just provide antimicrobial activity.
AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver is indicated for moderate to high exuding wounds which are infected or at risk of infection.
Because it is the only antimicrobial dressing that incorporates Hydrofiber® Technology, it:
- Releases ionic silver in a controlleda manner as wound exudate is absorbed into the dressing1,2,
- May help protect periwound skin by helping reduce the risk of maceration b,3,4
- Is soft and conformable5
- Supports wound healing by providing a moist wound healing environment6
- AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver provides rapid and sustained antimicrobial activity in vitro.1,2,7
- As demonstrated in in vitro testing, AQUACEL ® Ag Hydrofiber ® Wound Dressing with lonic Silver provides sustained antimicrobial activity for up to 7 days.2
SCHEMATIC ILLUSTRATION OF SEQUESTRATION OF BACTERIA BY HYDROFIBER® TECHNOLOGY
- Bowler PG, Cochrane CA. Progression toward healing: wound infection and the role of an advanced silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing. Ostomy Wound Manage. 2003:49(8)(suppl):S 2-S5.
- Jones SA, Bowler PG, Walker M, Parsons D. Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing. Wound Repair Regen. 2004;12:288-294.
- Coutts P, Sibbald RG. The effect of a silver-containing Hydrofiber dressing on superficial wound bed and bacterial balance of chronic wounds. Int Wound J. 2005;2(4):348-356.
- Robinson BJ. The use of a hydrofibre dressing in wound management. J Wound Care. 2000;9(1):32-34.
- Walker M, Hobot JA, Newman GR, Bowler PG. Scanning electron microscopic examination of bacterial immobilisation in a carboxymethylcellulose (Aquacel) and alginate dressings. Biomaterials. 2003;24(5):883-890.
- Jones S, Bowler PG, Walker M. Antimicrobial activity of silver-containing dressings is influenced by dressing conformability with a wound surface. Wounds. 2005;17(9):263-270.
- AQUACEL® Ag Hydrofiber® Wound Dressing [CE Mark package insert ConvaTec 1137338]. Deeside, UK: ConvaTec Limited 2002
- In in vitro testing for AQUACEL® dressing, which is of the same construction as AQUACEL® Ag dressing with the exception of the addition of ionic silver
- The amount of silver released is controlled by the maximum amount of silver that can get into solution
ConvaTec can provide you with more information about Wound & skin Products and Services.